BRANCH Partner Grantee Dena Nazer, MD, FAAP
Dr. Nazer completed medical school at the University of Jordan. Upon moving to the United States, Dr. Nazer continued her training at Children’s Hospital of Michigan/ Wayne State University where she completed a residency in general pediatrics and a fellowship in Child Abuse Pediatrics. Currently she is an Assistant Professor at Wayne State University, and she is the Chief of the Child Protection team at Children's Hospital of Michigan in Detroit. She also provides the medical evaluations at Kids TALK Children’s Advocacy Center in Detroit for children suspected of being sexually abused. Dr. Nazer has made Hour Detroit Magazine’s list of Top Docs as voted by peers based on a survey mailed to approximately 15,000 physicians in the metropolitan area for the past 6 years.
Dr. Nazer actively teaches both nationally and internationally in the area of child maltreatment. She regularly provides lectures on the diagnosis and treatment of child abuse at the University of Jordan Hospital in Amman.
With support from BRANCH, Dr. Nazer:
- Developed new partnerships between the University of Jordan Medical Center, where abuse gets diagnosed, and the Jordan River Foundation, which provides counseling and case management for survivors of abuse; and with the lead prosecutors in Amman, to make sure no concerning cases fall through the cracks.
- Adapted the BRANCH ICANHELP Curriculum and trained over 100 doctors on the diagnosis and treatment of child physical and sexual abuse.
- In partnership with the University of Jordan Medical Center and prosecutors in Amman, Dr. Nazer led a day-long symposium on child maltreatment in August 2016 that was attended by 385 medical and legal professionals, and she was interviewed twice on a national news show.
(Above: Dena uses puppets with young children to explain the physical exam to help them feel more comfortable)
Selected Publications by Dr. Nazer:
1. Palusci VJ, Nazer D, Brennan P (Eds.). Illustrated Clinical Cases: Non-Accidental Injury.
London: Taylor & Francis Publishing (in press).
2. Nazer D. Introduction to Abusive Head Trauma (in press): Atlas of Abusive Head Trauma
3. Nazer D. Motor Vehicle Collisions as a Mimic for Abusive Head Trauma (in press) : Atlas of
Abusive Head Trauma
4. Palusci, V.J., Nazer, D. (in press). Maltreatment and advocacy. In D.M. Kamat, & P.R.
Fischer (Eds.), Textbook of Global Child Health (2nd edition). Elk Grove Village, IL:
American Academy of Pediatrics.
5. Palusci, V.J. & Nazer, D. (2014). Volume 3, Ch. 2: The Medical Response to Child
Maltreatment. In J. Conte (Ed.), Child Abuse and Neglect Worldwide (volume 3 ; pp. 19-50).
Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger / ABC-CLIO.